"Whatever your hands find to do, verily do it with all your might" Ecclesiastes 9-10

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Flower Garden... 2nd version

Whew ! ... Just in time : it's midnight, here...
;>)
Well, my garden caused me some "trouble" and brainstorming, this week.
Actuallly, the more I was basting my hexies, the more I felt unhappy about these.

Though not being my usual comfort zone, I loved those shirtings fabrics - and still do -
Yet I was not feeling that quilt as "mine" and I kept trying different settings, etc...
no way ---> the fabrics didn't want to grow as a flowers garden !
Did you ever experience such thing ? I'm sure you did.
Some quilts want to master the process their own way....

So, before going ahead, I decided to step backwards and THINK (it happens!)

What did I really want ? ... Fortunately, I've got that habit to keep track of quilt pictures I really love , and I had seen this one hereunder in a magazine, in March 2009. Just a picture, no name, no pattern, no directions. I remember I even posted a picture of it on our Great Hexagon Quilt Along Group (Hi, dear Robyn !)

And then I had the lightbulb ;>) ---> this is what I want to do ! This is more "me" !
I quickly checked my stash, and discovered I had the right white, blue and yellow fabrics. Bliss... All I needed was the red one, so I jumped into my car and went to our local quilt shop
Here's my evening "planting" ...
I decided to ignore those tiny triangles on the original. Only hexies here, with the same setting
CONCLUSION : ---> H A P P Y !
And isn't it all that counts, after all ?
Now I can see this garden growing week after week.
Note : the shirtings fabrics are back on the shelve. I've got some nice ideas for them... later.
;>)

27 comments:

  1. YES, YES, YES, this happens to me. A LOT! You are so right, I am learning that quilts have a mind of their own. I think that's part of the fun in the long run. Of course, not so fun at the time when agonizing! lol
    GREAT JOB! Gorgeous!I never would have thought of this... love it! XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks gorgeous Nadine though I also liked the shirties. But I know what you mean. I am playing with my hexies and have changed the plan several times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woohooo....I like it too. Can't wait until you have several blocks together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the layout...you've found a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you, Nadine! I also liked the shirtings, and am saving my husband's, and now my son's shirts for a quilt. but follow your heart. Life's too short to spend time and effort on a quilt that doesn't make your heart SING!

    ~ Ronda

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh dear! I thought you were going to say you didn't want to make flowers anymore! Thank goodness! I love your new plan and that it makes you happy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bautiful choice Nadine. It is always more fun to work with project you like.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ah oui ! là j'adore ! c'est tellement gai et lumineux !!! j'aimais bien les pastels aussi mais là, c'est vraiment pétillant et en plus cela te satisfait donc tout est parfait. tu as bien fait de tout remettre en question .quel travail ! de quelle taille sont tes hexagones ?
    bises - à plus - marité

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your new flower Nadine. I am glad you went with your instincts and switched to what you felt comfortable with because now a new species of hexagon is born.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, I love this layout.
    This is going to be gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Never be afraid to change your mind. Quilts take a long time and you don't want to waste it on something that doesn't feel right. I think you've made a beautiful switch, I like the setting of this one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds so familiar....... ;>) ...!
    I've learned to make a quilt yours, then it works for you!
    You did a great job! Love your flower-garden and the way it turns out!
    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jippie! Nothing better than being back on track. I love and admire you for being exactly who you are, and this quilt is YOU!
    xox
    V.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ik snap helemaal wat je bedoelt Nadine. Maar ik vind je beide hex-projecten leuk hoor, anders maar wel leuk!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I loved the shirtings hexies Nadine, but you're right, they just don't sing as flowers. Your new layout is gorgeous & so different, it just shows how versatile these little hexies can be! I feel a new burst of hexie energy emanating from Belguim! lol
    xoxG

    ReplyDelete
  16. It hasn't happened with my hexies, yet, but it has happened with other projects. I liked the shirtings, but you are right the red, yellow, and blue is better!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh - how I love to see a happy gardener. I love what you have decided to do

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love those "lightbulb" moments. Great choice, I know you will love it!! Can't wait to see the updates.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love your hexies!
    Your fabric is perfect!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. sorry for being late...
    great that you are back on track! I guess we all have this experience every now and again and it is sometimes sooooo tempting to leave it be. Glad you got the 'curve'!
    Tineke

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sommige dingen kunnen je blijven achtervolgen: en dan klopt het gewoon niet en moet je vooral je gevoel volgen. Hartstikke goed om dat te doen en zo wordt het ook een fantastische quilt! Geniet ervan.

    ReplyDelete
  22. So glad that you found your way .... your version is going to be gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  23. It's so good to read about your doubts and thoughts and finding a layout that feels good for you. And it's a great layout indeed!
    I can hardly wait to see it grow...

    ReplyDelete
  24. http://sireene.zoominMay 27, 2010 at 8:31 AM

    I like your works.

    ReplyDelete
  25. http://sireene.zoomin.seMay 27, 2010 at 8:33 AM

    I like your works.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Isn't it great when a work in progress tells you what direction to go in, even when we think we already have it right. l look frorward to see how this progress's. Thanks for sharing.
    Linda.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks a bunch for your comments, they just make my day !