"Whatever your hands find to do, verily do it with all your might" Ecclesiastes 9-10

Friday, December 5, 2008

STASH INVENTORY AND A CHALLENGE....

This time of the year always brings me into a sorting-out/decluttering mood. I guess I want to feel "clean", tip-top ready for the coming new year... So I went through my stash (have you noticed how quickly the neat, well sorted little piles soon become a mess ? ;o)

The bright side of this boring task, is that you always come accross some wonderful treasures , and this time was no exception...



Look at these beautiful colors !

Actually, they were given to me by Elisabeth, a Norwegian friend (no blogger), who visited me last summer. Thirty 30cm (12 inches) squares of gorgeous K.Fasset fabrics (all different prints), that I kept together like a gems treasure...

The problem is that their beauty kind of "paralyses" me and I 'm scared cutting through them. One thing I'm sure : I'd like to use them with black, plain fabric. (I bought 8 yards of that one on sale, some years ago. What did I think ???? LOL LOL) and I won't be afraid cutting through that one ;>)

Would you help me in that challenge ?

I really need some inspiration from my friends
Your suggestions will be heartfully welcome....

**************


Herunder are some pictures of my garden, this morning

so quiet and peaceful, blissssss....


Saying for today :


A little lantern can do what the great sun can never do :
it can shine in the night...

15 comments:

  1. Love the fabrics. You could cut them into 6 or 8" squares, frame them with the black( kind of like sashing. Then with the leftover fabric, you could make a narrow, pieced border then add a black border. If you have any more fabric left you could again piece it for the binding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would suggest the BQ2 pattern by Maple Island Quilts. This is an excellent pattern to showcase large prints or prints that are so beautiful on their own and you don't want to cut into them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was given some Kaffe Fassett prints too and wondered for ages what to do with them. For fun, I cut off a small piece of a few of them and used those for 9 hexagons (.50" ones, that is) and it's amazing. They're wonderful in small pieces. One gets totally different looks from the same piece of fabric!
    That said, I'm playing with the idea of a Jane Austen quilt in Kaffe Fassett prints.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hei. How great of Elisabeth to give you some fabrics. As I tink you know I have been in France and there I bougth Quilt mania Hiver 2008 and there are a great scrap quilt in it.The quilt are named Etoiles et Carres. A great quilt with lots of Kaffe Fassett's fabrics. It is a kind of quilt I would love to do....
    Klem from me :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful pictures from your garden. The fabrics are fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nadine
    now I send you two pics of a work done with little pieces of fabrics (5x5cm) you can use the black instead of my red all around.
    It's done like a watercolor.
    ciao ciao

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely find! I love finding little forgotten jewells like that. I like the idea of 6 or 8" squares framed in black. I'd probably also cut smaller squares for cornerstones in the sashing. Whatever you do with them, I'm sure it will be gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The prints are lovely. I'd put a light fabric with them for the eye to rest and appreciate the beautiful colors and designs. You could make string blocks or even log cabin with them! What a fun project.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello...stumbled upon your blog. I think they would look fabulous with the black...have fun, Dzintra Ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, they are beautiful in their color and look so dramatic in comparison to the snowy pictures you included. The snow does look pretty, and peaceful though.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What about the pattern that I used with the blue / lavendar baby quilts. 4" square and 2" square of bright colored fabric offset by a solid? You could make it as big as you wanted and it would show off each lovely print.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks like you have lots of great suggestions. Which is good, because I have nothing to offer. I would be staring at the fabric right along with you. They are just so beautiful!!! I can't wait to see what you do with it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. quel beau fond de blog ! très frais et original et la musique, la lanterne qui brille dans la nuit... et les tissus bien-sûr pour illuminer l'hiver !

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, I just love Kaffe Fabrics and you are so right--black is a perfect complimentary fabric to go with them. I've made several scrappy quilts from his fabric...cut 6" squares and then sash them with white....I used Bonnie Hunter's Bricks and Stepping Stones pattern and made my checkerboard from black and white.....I cut out circles from each fabric and set them on a WOW background....I'll have to go back and look up what else I've done, but I've done several and love them all. Oh--I just thought of another one...I made 'Candy is Dandy' with them and used about 150 different pieces (I swapped with a friend).
    Have fun playing with them, what a wonderful find!

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Nadine, I've finished a quilt with Kaffe Fassett fabrics - look on my blog please and then "Michaeles Fotoalbum". I think a brick pattern looks very nice. Regards Michaele

    ReplyDelete

Thanks a bunch for your comments, they just make my day !