"Whatever your hands find to do, verily do it with all your might" Ecclesiastes 9-10

Monday, February 25, 2008

NORWAY (3)



THE LIFE BEFORE...



The visit of the museum ended with a looong walk ouside, where you can see the cabins where people used to live before. That walk was so beautiful and May Britt was such a good and clever guide....





It was like living in winter wonderland... Look at this cute, small cabin : you could imagine Snowwhite coming to welcome you... :>)









Then came the first bridge... It's not a secret : I'm VERY afraid of heights, and I can't easily balance my body (I heard that most tall people are feeling the same ?)... "Butter legs" my grandmother used to say :>)

But what do you do, when a good friend is telling you : "come on ! You can do it ! I'm with you !" ? ? ? Well, you just do it !




That's what I could see under myself.... when I dared opening my eyes. You should have heard that noise of ice and water !





Among many cabins , May Britt wanted to show me this one, where her father and his family used to live, and I could imagine how hard life was at that time, and how courageous people had been...



But there was also a second bridge ! It was very impressive, but my "cruel teaser" - as I named her - told me to be confident : "this one is easier !" she said... HA !

Only when we reached the end , did she tell me it was a hanging bridge ! I didn't realize that, as I crossed it eyes half closed, step by step, two fingers on the railing (as if this could have prevented me from falling ! LOL LOL), but I knew I had felt something "moving" ! :>) Fortunately, I couldn't see through the planks : they were covered with ice and snow...



I can still recall, thinking to myself : "OMG, this is where I'm gonna die ! Nobody will find me here !...Well, at least I'll die in Norway !"


But I did it ! This may seem ridiculous, but I felt it was a big victory on myself.



THANKS, my dear friend ! I wouldn't have done it without you....




DEEP IN THE FOREST...


One evening, IRENE - from the local quilt shop - and her husband, invited us to go and visit their own cabin in the forest... Two hours drive, crossing a magical landscape, with the snow, the trees, traces of mooses, the night falling, always going deeper and deeper in the forest, I felt like in Fairyland, eyes wide open (this time!), filling my heart and head with the beauty of nature....


And there we were. Like in the middle of nowhere, we discovered that jewel in the snow. Look at the snow on the roof... it had even reached the windows !




The dog was having much fun, playing in the snow. You will also notice that we are not dressed as in North Pole. The reason is simple : when the temperature is falling very low (we had minus 22°C), the air is so pure and very dry, and it was not windy... just magical !



Sweet Irene, happy inside her beautiful cabin (look how cosy and cute it is)... She is so nice, and always smiling. I'm feeling so grateful to these new friends, for their hospitality and kindness. They opened their home and heart to me, without even knowing me a week before.



Have you ever been deeeeeep in a Norwegian forest to eat PIZZA ??? Well, I did ! It was delicious and so unexpected !


I still have a lot to report - feel free to skip it, if boring - (this is kind of my personnal "Trip Journal" , as well. :>)


Next time I'll tell you about some very special quilting friends.... But I think it's enough for now....


SAYING FOR TODAY
It's good to give a friend a meal, or a night's lodging, and it's even better to be hospitable to his own meaning and thoughts, and give courage to a companion.
It's good to treat a friend like you would do for a painting,
which you are willing to bring
into the advantage of a good light...

Ralph Waldo Emerson

:>)

27 comments:

  1. Nadine, both of us was blessed to meet a wonderful blogging friend.....i miss Anne Ida so much, wanna move to Norway with me???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you had such a wonderful time.

    LOVE your Izzy song you have running now, it's the same as the CD playing in my car this week (just booked my Maui trip! WOOT!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love seeing all the beauty (and snow *s*) from your wonderful trip. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love reading about your trip to Norway. The bridges were beautiful, but scary looking. What a beautiful cabin!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with you Nadine, when it comes to heights and crossing bridges, I think I would have crawled across it on my hands and knees....lol.... Lovely photo's, so glad you have such wonderful memories of a new friendship.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nadine, Someone would have had to bound and gagged me before I would have gone over that SCARY bridge!

    When I was in Kindergarten I climbed up over the top of the swing set and the firemen had to come get men down as the school didn't have a ladder and I wouldn't come back down!

    Thanks for the picture, wish we had as much snow as Norway!

    Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello. I'm so glad you did'n jump in the wather. ;-)I hope the bridges didn't fraiten you from comming back some day. Miss you. Big hug

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nadine you are very strong and brave!!!!!
    The landscapes that in these pics are wonderful and I'm happy to see that in a forest you have eaten Italian food (PIZZA).

    I like your new pic.
    ciao ciao

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is fun for a Norwegian to read about your trip to Norway! Your friends really gave you a wonderful stay!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrr...that looks so cold. The pictures are beautiful. I am not so sure I would have made it across those bridges though - especially with that ice and snow on them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Not boring at all. The pictures are beautiful - I would love snow like that here.

    ReplyDelete
  12. can't remember the last time I saw so much snow!! Planning to ride to the Nordkapp in Norway this summer on motorbike.Sure hope the snow will be gone by then :) Keep those pictures coming!

    ReplyDelete
  13. More wonderful pictures! I can imagine how fearful you were as you walked across the bridges. You were very brave. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree with Marit - it's so nice being Norwegian and reading your lovely posts about your visit to our country. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! What beauty! I see you are still smilling ear to ear! ;o) What a lovely trip! Thank you so much for sharing it with us!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for sharing this part of your journey. You were very brave crossing those bridges being so afraid of them.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What wonderful pictures! It was almost like being there too. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am enjoying reading your story about your trip. It sounds wonderful. Pizza in the forest sounds wonderful to me!

    I too was surprised by your gift from Christine. I just read her blog and I didn't know she was your swap partner either!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your trip to Norway sounds so incredible. Please do tell more, it makes me feel as though I got to tag along on your shoulder :0).

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh Nadine, you obviously had so much to enjoy on your trip. I would love to visit Norway one day, & I will keep dreaming!

    ReplyDelete
  21. You look like you were in fairytale land! Just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Such wonderful times you had! Good on you for overcoming your fears - what a wonderful friend you have there.
    *hugs*
    Tazzie
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Looks like you had a wonderful visit at the museum - it is such a beautiful area (and way too long since I've been there!) - happy you made it across the bridges safely :o)

    It was so great to be able to see you while you were here, and I hope to see you again someday! Take care, my friend! Hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  24. Good for you on facing your fears on the bridges Nadine.
    I've so enjoyed your account of your trip to Norway and look forward to the next instalment.

    ReplyDelete
  25. It looks like a fabulous time.Love the photos of your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a gorgeous place...love, love, love the snow. Hugs Khris in Oz

    ReplyDelete

Thanks a bunch for your comments, they just make my day !