"Whatever your hands find to do, verily do it with all your might" Ecclesiastes 9-10

Thursday, November 1, 2007

A CELEBRATION DAY...



Halloween is not much celebrated here in Belgium. However, today is a very important day to us, as we celebrate our beloved deceased ones, and it's a legal holiday.



It has also a religious meaning : All Saint's Day >>> "tous les Saints", therefore the name "TOUSSAINT" in French.



Most families go to the cemetery in the morning, bringing chrysanthemums (long lasting flower, even with frost)...




Then we generally organize a family reunion, having lunch all together. This gives us the opportunity to remember the good moments we shared with our beloved ones, and many memories are told - including funny ones -


When I was a child, my grandmother was in charge of organizing that special lunch.


I can still recall that loooong table, with about 30 cousins, old uncles and aunts, with "pricking" kisses on my cheeks, and always the same question : "well, how's it going at school ?", and same comment : "OMG, how tall she is !".


My grandmother was giving "orders" in the kitchen, checking everything on the menu, which was traditionally always the same : pumkin soup, roasted turkey, winter salad, apple mousse, and home made pie, not to forget good red wine from the cellar (of which I got a drop in my glass of water)....


There were laughters, some tears also, everyone happy to give some news, and to remember "the good times".... In a way, this reminds me of Thanksgiving....


Today, we went to the cemetery and flourished my grandmother's, and my mother's graves. Most cousins, aunts and uncles deceased a long time ago. So, I decided to organize THE lunch myself, kind of taking my turn in the family tradition....



The menu was exactly he same, and we had a good time together. The table was not so long : we were 9 only. However, I guess we will be more each year, as the family grows, and it was as if my grandmother was smiling to me, from Heaven above...






TODAY' S QUOTE :

Most traditions are transmitted by women, who act like guardians in the family...


(African proverb)


16 comments:

  1. What wonderful tradition, Nadine . . . I'm so glad you have taken on the caretaking of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi nadine...what a sweet lady! Thank you so much for nominating me for the inspirational blogger award.
    I do tend to have alot to say, so happy to hear some of it holds meaning for you *VBS* Big hugs, Finn

    ReplyDelete
  3. well I am not into Halloween and Australia isn'teither thankgoodness.........as really it is an American thing......
    ......pleased you remebered your special traditions and are now carrying them forward yourself........your Grandma would be very pleased about this........althought sometimes annoying there is nothing like family.........

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely story. Thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing Nadine. I have "All Saints Day" written on my calendar and didn't know what it was for. Now I know.
    You table looks lovely and should be a nice little reunion.
    Good bless your family.xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Grandmom and mom would be so proud of you. Such a lovely idea, remembering memories together.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely story about your family. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful story, my friend. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh...she looks so loving. Isn't that something...how one can "feel" the warmth of someone through a photo?!

    She's got to be proud of her loving Nadine for keeping this tradition alive in her memory. Numbers does not always matter...it's what is celebrated that matters.

    Hugs to you, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. And did you allow yourself more than a drop of wine, my dear?!

    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful reason for a national holiday. We should do it here in Australia. The pace of life is too fast sometimes and it is easy to forget about those special memories. Good on you for taking your turn in family tradition.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We don´t celebrate this day and neither Halloween. It is so nice when the family is gathered around the table.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for sharing your traditions with us, Nadine. And the pictures are lovely, too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hope you had a nice day with your family!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nadine in Italy too we have these celebrations ......
    and in these days all the family is more near.
    Old and young together remembering..........
    ciao ciao

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a wonderful tradition Nadine -- and reminds me a bit of the Mexican Dios de les Muertos (sp?) celebrations to honor their ancestors. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks a bunch for your comments, they just make my day !