"Whatever your hands find to do, verily do it with all your might" Ecclesiastes 9-10

Wednesday, May 30, 2007

LABELS.....


No significant progress to picture, today, except a cute Bronwyn Hayes stitchery ("The quilter"), that I intend to applique (reverse) on a quilting purse (some day, some time ! LOL).
I certainly have to progress on back stitching, but what counts is the pleasure I had to make it, doesn't it ?

****************************************************************


So, I thought about LABELS, that last step of the whole quilting process. Among all steps, this one is very important to me : it's the "finishing touch", the signature, a trace of me for ever (I like the idea !), and I'm taking some time to make them...


Of course, there are some beautiful pre-printed ones, where you only have to write some information, with a permanent pen (no critic at all : I have often used them, as well)... but in my opinion, a special quilt, a "labour of love", deserves a special label. Not necessarily perfect, artistic, and beautifully designed, but lovingly made, as a last "surprise gift"...



This one is on my double Irish Chain














I made this one for my GMFG, that I made in memory of my beloved grandmother.... (I only knew stem stitching, at that time)











Do I dare telling you that this unfinished one was started about 5 years ago, for a quilt I made for DH's 50th birthday ? The quilt still needs binding.... I guess he'll get it for his 60th birthday ! (LOL)









Have you got some nice labels to show ?





Now, I can't finish this post without telling you about TANYA (Japan) : please, please, read her today's post about quilting and labours of love !

"TANIWA" http://tttl1998.blogspot.com/

23 comments:

  1. Labels are my down fall... I usuaally end up writing directly on the quilt with a permanent pen...

    I have a couple that were machine embroidered... A couple of those were "quilted in" - I attached them before they were quilted.

    Have you shown your double Irish chain? I am intrigued by the fabrics... I don't think I have ever seen a scenic print used as the background like that - neat way to use a novelty/scenic print...

    I am trying to think about the cat prints that I have & which ones would look goot made up this way....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nadine, your labels are beautiful. Will you believe me that I never do them? Shame on me! Seeing yours, this is more motivation for me try some stitchery!! The only two quilts I've 'signed' have been the two wedding wall hangings with initials on the back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't label my quilts! Why? I don't know - I just don't do it. I know it's a bad thing but :-(

    Maybe you'll inspire me! :-)

    Yours are beautiful and the Quilter is adorable and will be a perfect addition to anything you put her on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am terrible about labeling mine too - though I know it's really important. I just bought a panel of pre-printe labels though, so I've got no excuse now but they won't be as nice as yours. Like Amy, I would love to see your Double Irish chain in full, it looks intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your embroidered labels are wonderful - the icing on the cake! My labels are usually done on the computer using cotton fabric sheets.
    I read Tanya's blog about gifts. Simply beautiful. Thank for the link.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am signing my quilts only by writing on the backing with a permanent pen. But your labels is really beautiful and will make the whole quilt even more worth. So I have to think about this, stitching labels.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm afraid I have to confess that I have never labelled a quilt yet.... but I promise now that I will rectify this and start thinking about suitable labels for my creations - thank you. Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sometimes I label sometimes not ... why ... don´t find a rule.
    Must look for some pics.
    Your stichery is wonderful, cute label.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love 'the quilter'. Beautiful colours and stitching. I'm on my way to Tanya's place.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I usually make patchwork labels- for gift quilts. I will have to see if I have any here to show. I dont take such troubles with my own quilts, but I suppose I am an "important person" too!lol.
    Love your Bronwyn Hayes & all your lovely stitched works.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my goodness Nadine - what elegant labels! It never occurred to me to embroider an elegant label like that for a quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi again Nadine, Thankyou for linking to Tanya. I have linked her to my blog post for today, with a pic of 3 of my labels.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your labels are beautiful Nadine! I will make a post on the weekend about the easy (and not nearly as interesting as yours) way that I make my labels.
    Thanks too for the link to Taniwa's site...I loved that story!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love that label for your husband's quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have to confess that I label only part of the time. I know better too. But I still skip some of them. I read Tanya's blog everyday. She's wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your labels are awesome! Especially that last one! Did you hand embroider it? I'm sooo bad with labels. If I manage to get one on it is just hand written in a light spot on a block. I'm not real artsy with labels. Love your quilting lady!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Nadine! I'm sorry it has taken me sooooo long to come visit, but I'm glad I finally made it! You have a wonderful blog. Those labels are absolutely gorgeous! Such patience! This, clearly, I don't have. I'm going to add you to my list so I can remember to come visit daily! Best! ~A :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have labels but i never use them, i get so excited with finishing the binding, for me ....its all over!!!
    i love ur stitchery!!! u have done a fantastic job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. After looking at your labels, I will not embarrass myself by showing mine............

    Yours are great.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, your labels are wonderful! I often (ok, almost always) skip this step. Maybe I should re-think that one.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Absolutely beautiful labels. They look like you put just as much thought into them as you did the quilt they are attached to.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I forgot to comment on your lovely labels the other day. I am not good at putting labels on my work. Sometimes I sign on the back with a Pigma pen, but more often I do not. I think I have to rethink the labels now, hmmm..... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. what a wonderful idea for labels and one doesn't have to commit to a whole project to enjoy this activity!! i love the idea of embroidery but i never want to commit the something "life" sized!! thanks for the inspiration. (i linked over from caroles blog-either directly or indirectly--not sure--i've clicked so much) God bless----j

    ReplyDelete

Thanks a bunch for your comments, they just make my day !