"Whatever your hands find to do, verily do it with all your might" Ecclesiastes 9-10

Thursday, March 1, 2007

THE MAGIC WINDOW... A QUILTER'S SHORT STORY.


Let me tell you what happened to me, this afternoon...
I was coming back from work, building quilts in my mind, while driving my car, as usual... It was fresh, but sunny, I felt happy. You must know, that the ONLY quilt shop for miles around happens to be on my way home (I've truly looked for other possible roads, but nope, I HAVE TO pass along that shop ! (must be written in my destiny )....
The car (not me, I swear!) stopped just in front of the small parking lot.
Do I need telling you that I was in heaven, two minutes later ? Some new books..... aha......... some new bolts.....aha..... and THERE it was : a whole box, full of brand new fat quarters ! I swear they were smiling at me !
How could I resist, tell me ! As a good mother, I adopted six of them, and kept them on my heart, while bringing them to the car....
I still had time : HE (the master commander, the love of my life) should come home later...
Suddenly, my heart felt down : HIS car was there, already ! How could HE do this to me ? How could I keep my six new babies away from HIS sight ? Ooooh, sh...... !
I noticed that HE had opened some windows, to welcome this sunny afternoon, and I got a quick inspiration : I ran to our bedroom window, pushed the open window, and launched my babies inside. Then, I went into the house, in my best innocent appearance.
HE suddenly came out of our bedroom (Oh, my goodness !), asking :
"Honey, do you know what this is ???"
Me : "What ?" (quick, think, think good !)
"Well, THIS came from our window !"
Me : "Really ??? Well, that's unbelievable ! How come ?"
"Are you laughing at me ? This is fabric !You promised to use your stash!" Me : "FABRIC ?????? Ooooh, isn't it beautiful ? THANKS !"
HE looked to the sky, completely discouraged, maybe praying for God's help... I don't know, and frankly....I don't care...
However, I cooked his favorite supper... We ate quietly, when :
HE : "are you afraid of me, darling ?"
ME : "Noooooooo ! Why are you asking ?" He looked at me with such relief... that I forgave him !

29 comments:

  1. Cute story Nadine. You must have a sweet husband. And your windows are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Nadine, what a great story! You brought such a smile to my face! My husband said to me once long ago, "I don't care how much you buy. Just don't try to hide it from me". He shouldn't have said that . . . If he hadn't I might not have an overflowing stash right now LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun story - magic window and a wonderful hubby . . . you are a lucky girl.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL Nadine......you are wonderful. Thanks for the giggle this morning. You have made my day. Please give your husband a big hug from me!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i enjoyed your story Nadine. Now that you don't have to hide it is there any chance you can show us what fabrics you bought.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Nadine, I'm laughing so hard at your story! LOL I can imagine your face when you saw your hubby coming out of the bedroom. LOL You must give him a hug from me, as well.

    I agree with Cynthia you must show pictures of the new lovlies!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nadine, that story is absolutely hilarious--and priceless!! :D Doesn't it always seem to be that our Prince Charming turns up at the most inopportune times!! ROFL BTW, I want to thank you for always leaving such warm encouraging comments on my blog. I'm delighted that you're my friend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is just too funny Nadine. I bet it was quite the shock for him to be standing in the bedroom and have fabric come flying through the window. Gave me a good chuckle this morning, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing such a funny story. I must make a compliment on your windows, very nice. I like your cubes and especially the box to put them in. Guess what, it comes from my home region! Happy tasting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So funny! What a story! How many solutions do we have to find for our fabrics! ahahah! Yea, but I think that our husbands are happy about our hobby! ;o) very nice the star you did after looking the one by Simonetta! Ciao, ciao.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing a funny story. I never knew fabric could fly!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My eyes are welling with tears from laughing! What languages do you teach?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the laugh :-)) Your DH would probably not have noticed much if you just brought the fabrics in through the door ;-)
    Still laughing here.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are so funny! I guess I don't hide fabric yet, but I certainly don't go out of my way to show my husband! Then again, this morning when I left some fabric on the kitchen table I quickly put them away wondering if he'd seen them. Must be a guilty conscience.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Aw...that is a fun story, Nadine! I can only imagine what was going through both your husband's and your mind...at nearly the same time!

    I'm sure God was smiling widely...at His match made in heaven!

    Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nadine, that was a great story. Maybe you need a larger purse to stuff the little babies into next time. :-) DH
    sounds like a keeper.

    ReplyDelete
  17. We are all laughing and can identify!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I enjoyed your story Nadine, it made me smile:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nadine, what beautiful windows. Such exquisite window treatments. Your home is so lovely.

    You need to carry a tote bag with you to and from work. Amazing what you can stash in those things and sail right through the door.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I can't imagine how much trouble I'd get into if I passed a quilt shop on the way to/from work! Having fun getting caught up on your blog - sorry I've been MIA!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Enjoyed your story as well as all the other comments before mine! I'm still chuckling!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow!!!! Nadine, what a great story,so much a fun!!!I hope for all ok for you ;)))Ciao

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a funny story! It gave me a great laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I bank on the fact that I get home some much earlier than my husband...

    Although he has learned not to question my purchases...

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a funny story! I'm glad it all worked out over dinner :o) And for your info: I'm sure there are some sort of magnet in all and every quilt shop - they just pull you inn, and somehow always bring something with you when they finally let you out ;o) Enjoy jour new FQs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. That is the best laugh I have had for days!! Do you mean that it is still the same even when you are a little wiser and have been married a little longer than me? I would have hidden it under the seat in the car until the coast was clear!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I loved your story!

    I have heard many ways to smuggle fabric into the house--but never this way!

    ReplyDelete
  28. A very tender story. And I learn that other people make quilts in their minds while they drive.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks a bunch for your comments, they just make my day !