"Whatever your hands find to do, verily do it with all your might" Ecclesiastes 9-10

Sunday, January 14, 2007

PLANTING FOR SPRING......



It seems I'm busy working at flourishing my quilter garden, this winter... A few months ago, Lucy ("Quilting with the Past") had shown a wonderful tulips quilt top. I literally fell in love with these tulips, and she kindly shared her pattern with me. Well I've been a good girl and today I can show you my work on them, up to now...


There will be 16 blocks in total. The background is cream and blue. I have absolutely no merit for that, as I was totally inspired with Lucy's choice. Some might think that I'm just copying her, without trying to be original, but I 'd rather consider this as a tribute to her. And why would I change something beautiful ?


Up to now, I completed 5 blocks (first photo). The second photo shows my fabrics for the sashings, cornerstones and borders (on the left). On the bottom center, you can see one tulip made by Lucy, placed on some fabric she sent to me : these will make the label of my quilt ("Lucy's Tulips"), and on the right are some other tulips in preparation.........


I really love that quilt so much and I'm delighted with the process : easy and rewarding.

THANKS, LUCY !!!


So this Sunday was devoted to "planting the seeds of love". I also prepared two more Applique Delight blocks, ready to be made this week, my goal being to reach seven( maybe eight ?)blocks done. I'd like to catch up with May Britt, but it's an illusion : each time I make one block, she makes two !!! LOL This challenge is funny and very stimulating, a good way to achieve good and quick results......


Now I'll spend this evening on my stitchery ( still dealing with flowers)........


GRATITUDES :


- Sipping my coffee, while "talking" with my quilt friends


- A delicious soup I made, following Judy L.' recipe (see her blog's last posts). A MUST !


- A nice outing with DH


- Very sweet weather today (strange for the season, however...)


- A good book to read.


THOUGHT OF THE DAY :


" Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable, that we have to alter it every six months" Oscar Wilde


And to finish this post, just my best warm thoughts to my friend Darlene, hoping she didn't find too much trouble at her mother's, in Texas. You're in my thoughts, dear !










26 comments:

  1. Nadine, those tulips are lovely.
    All of yur work is beautiful.
    Thank you for you kind comments to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. scrappy tulips...waaaay more than darling...makes me smile!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what beautiful tulips... they're enough to brighten any cold winter's day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous, bright tulips...what more could a girl ask for on a cold, snowy day??? :) I'm just starting my AD blocks. Have one prepped and ready. How do you mark your pattern on your background square? Do you mark the whole pattern on with washout pen? If you do, do you use a lightbox for the transfer? I'm having a hard time getting my patterns transferred satisfactorily. :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your tulips. THey make me think that spring will eventually come, even here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like tulips even I could grow *s* They are lovely, Nadine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your blocks are wonderful!! And I don't think it's being a "copy cat" at all, I love the whole tribute to a friend idea!! I get some of my best ideas that way. Have a wonderful day and happy "delurking week".
    dawn

    ReplyDelete
  8. those tulips are lovely Nadine. A great way to use up scraps. Won't be long and you will have finished all the blocks. I would love to make them but i am trying to be very good and keep working on my UFOs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very lovely Nadine - and you are so right - a perfect tribute to Lucy. I'm glad you didn't change anything as you liked the blocks just the way they were. How sweet of Lucy to send you the pattern and a block. And what a lovely way to bring an early spring into the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  10. lovely your garden quilt. I'm italian my city is Taranto near Bari..sorry for my english.
    I like your blog.Ciao

    ReplyDelete
  11. OOhh Nadine . Thank you so much for your tribute to me !!! You know I have the original idea from Gwen Marston. Only I changed a bit the size and shape!! Quilting is also sharing ideas. I LOVE to see yours ! they are great, and makes me smile :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nadine your tulips are wonderfull. I am fallen in love with these flowers that colour our spring too. In Italy yesterday was a beatifull day, it seems April.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely blocks. Soon you will be the queen of applique!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's way too soon here, but your quilt gives me spring fever... such happy colors...

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great project to work on in the winter. You'll have tulips popping out everywhere by spring!

    I miss your comments terribly, Nadine! Do you have any ideas on what I could or need to do? Are you having troubles commenting with anyone else? I am so not a techie!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful blocks. I love tulips and noticed Lucy's tulips too. I think you said you would not start another new project LOL, but I guess this is one to reduce your stash ROFL.
    I have to hurry making more AD blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your blocks are just beautiful. Thank you for bringing a little brightness to a cold winter in Scotland.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your tulips are just great! I don't remember seeing scrappy tulips before. Very nice.
    I try to make bright and colorful quilts in the winter. Makes it more cheery that way.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Absolutly beautiful tulips! I cannot wait to see the finished project!

    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  20. Georgous tulips! I may have to find this pattern too. These are my DIL's favorite flower.

    Think SPRING!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful tulips, your quilt will be wonderful !I have the Gwen Marston's book and this pattern is "must" for me...

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your blogs look great Nadine and thanks for the nice compliments.

    ReplyDelete
  23. You just can't beat a tulip. That's why I spend a fortune each year on bulbs that only flower for a few days. Great work. Tracey

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm sorry to hear that you have had such painful problems with your feet and glad things are getting better now. Every cloud has a silver lining though and it's given you lots of extra quilting time and an excuse to sit doing it:) The tulip quilt is lovely - so springlike.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks a bunch for your comments, they just make my day !