"Whatever your hands find to do, verily do it with all your might" Ecclesiastes 9-10

Sunday, November 5, 2006

FABRIC SHOPPING WITH LAURA...

It was a bright, cold but sunny Saturday afternoon. We went to Brussels, as we wanted to get the big fabric choice. Actually, it didn't take long : she knew exactly what she wanted ! And here below is the result !....
On the photo, I've added a first block trial I made this morning (a brown square, with an applique circle). I think the blocks must remain simple, as the fabrics are quite "busy" and I want to bring the eye on them. So, I'll stick to those brown squares, alternating with orange and yellow squares, with yellow and green sashings + brown cornerstones..... We'll see, but I can "feel" the design coming to my fingertips.....


Another idea that came to my mind, while making that circle applique on a square, is that I could "big-stitch" around each circle, instead of traditional quilting. I think it would be appropriate with the quilt.

Then we went to a cosy tea-room, and had hot chocolate with cherry pie, hmmmmm...

The rest is up to me now, but I guess I'll be ready for her birthday (May 4th)..

GRATITUDES

***************

A sweet moment with my daughter.

Flowers from my son's girlfriend.

A new recipe tried today successfully.

Warm coffee while blogging.

They all went to Nono & Nana, after dinner. I chose a Glenn Miller CD and was dancing alone, while doing the dishes... A good moment for me alone. Now I'm going to meet them (I think there will be some pizza....)

10 comments:

  1. The block looks great and I can picture the quilt as you describe it. She'll love it! It sounds like you had a wonderful day...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The fabrics look so opulent. How could a quilt from them not be fantastic. Looking forward to following the progress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the colours. Have never seen this fabrics before. And I agree. It has to be a simple block and the one you have made is perfect. And big stitch around it with yellow and green. I am looking forward to see the progress. Your DD has good taste in fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a striking color combination! Your daughter certainly has an eye for color. Those will make a marvelous quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This quilt is going to be awesome!! Can't wait to see it evolve. I love the fabrics and your test block. I think the big-stitch quilting will work well, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OOOOOOOOOOOO, those fabrics and colors are fabulous. It's going to be a beautiful quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great fabric - looks like it will be a vibrant quilt. And a good choice for a block pattern. Simple, let the fabric do the talking.

    ReplyDelete
  8. sounds like you had a lovely day with your daughter. I like the fabric she has chosen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, your fabric choices are so very rich...and yet so youthful and energetic! What a great team you and Laura made!

    I agree with your ideas on the big stitch. Can't wait to see what you decide on, Nadine. You've got a terrific start..and you're way ahead of schedule. Cheers to you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh that fabric is wonderful! And I love that african print! This is going to be a spectacular quilt - Laura is going to LOVE it! And now I see - It think it does fit her very well!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks a bunch for your comments, they just make my day !