"Whatever your hands find to do, verily do it with all your might" Ecclesiastes 9-10

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

AFRICAN QUILT - ROUND 1







For days, the bright fabrics were displayed on the table, and and all I could say was : "aha, good choice ...", but I couldn't start cutting ! I have a predilection for strong colors and contrasts, but here I just felt paralysed.

What can a "broken" quilter do in such a case ?>>>>>>> I browsed through my friends blogs. Inspiration came from Jen (Hedgehog), with her medallion quilt.

I wanted to enhance a particular fabric, with beautiful dancing women, so they are part of the "medallion" , surrounded with simple courthouse steps in coordinating fabrics. The whole forms a 9 patch, like the 9 Kenyan tribes.

The next steps will now be considered as a round robin, around "the 9 tribes".

For the second round, I intend to put a wide dark brown border, with applique African flowers, plants and trees, as Kenyan women are traditionally "Nature's guardians".

For the third round, I intend to contrast with a wide yellow/beige border (arid grounds in the plains), with African MEN guarding the cows and other animals, as this is their traditional job.

That's what's in my mind, for now !

This is my first quilt without any guideline, except the theme and the fabrics. I keep telling myself : "come on, let go, relax....", but it's quite an experience. Maybe I'm going to produce a disaster, who knows ? That's a good exercise on self-confidence !

GRATITUDES

* Many souvenirs of my childhood in Kenya, with my parents working there.

* A quiet day, today, with me and myself.

* It's raining : no need to brush the terrace !

* Good music on the radio.

* Pyjamas.

13 comments:

  1. It's gorgeous! Laura is going to love it so much! Keep going, you're doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this is so wonderful! I love what you have done so far and I LOVE the idea of where it is going!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, it is truly stunning! You are so creative. I can't wait to see the next round. Simply wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's gorgeous, Nadine!! Even if you finished it out in this manner it would be a STUNNING quilt! Lovely work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nadine, this is beautiful! That blue around the center square just sparkles. It's magical. I'm so honored that I was able to provide you with some inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful Nadine!!!
    But what did happend to the circles you showed us earlier????

    How is the sidebar with the links going??? Have you tryed once more??

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just love this quilt that is taking shape, the colours are so vibrant and alive. I really like your ideas for the rest of it as well - the finished quilt is going to look wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OH Nadine!! This quilt is just going to be soooo wonderful!! Just go with your heart, & you cant go wrong.
    You are very creative.!!!

    Your daughter will treasure this wonderful quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! i love the fabric you have used for the quilt. Your plans for the other rounds sound great. I can't wait to see the progress of this quilt.

    By the way, nice to see your photo and that you were able to add some things to the sidebar.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is turning out wonderfully! I love the block you chose for the middle block! Terrific!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your African quilt is off to a great start - love the focus fabric in the center!! I love how you are doing it in stages like a Round Robin :c) Can't wait to check back and see the tribe! ~Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful start! Can't wait to see your next rounds as they progress.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's absolutely gorgeous, Nadine!!! I love that you're putting so much thought into it...like the relationship between the 9-Patch affect and the 9 Kenyan tribes.

    That fabric of the dancing women is lovely! Such color...such life!

    You are doing a superb job...WITHOUT guidelines!!! ;-) Enjoy the process!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks a bunch for your comments, they just make my day !