"Whatever your hands find to do, verily do it with all your might" Ecclesiastes 9-10

Thursday, July 13, 2006

HIDDEN UFO's...



This beauty was miserably lying in a drawer... I found it back yesterday, while sorting some fabrics out.... Shame on me ! I assume I abandonned it because, Oh boy !, this was something to hand piece !
Originally, I wanted to make 12 blocks like this (anyone can dream....), but I wa disouraged after the first one. I see that I also saved some blue and burgundy fabrics, as well as a pack of three fat quarters (burgundy, cream, dark blue) tone on tone printed with tiny boats, and wrapped in a "marina " pannel, that I bought last summer in Spain..... What a treasure !
Now, the question is : What shall I do with it ???
I think I'd like to use the compass as a center (the poor one deserves it), and then surround it with simple han pieced sailboats blocks.... but which ones ? (I'm not good at all at paper piecing!),
then maybe I would use the marina panel (lighthouses) for the border ?????
Any ideas are welcome...... ("I'll try with a little help from my (web) friends.........

Now, these Dresden Plate blocks were made out of a small bunch of 5in. sample fabrics that I bought.... five years ago, I think (you know how it is "just in case....") and I'd like to applique them on an appropriate background and then assemble the whole together...

The questions are : which background ???
sashing ?? which one ??
borders.... (oh, my!!!)


13 comments:

  1. NADINE, THESE BLOCKS ARE BEYOND LOVELY!! I MUST HAVE THAT TEMPLATE,THE EXACT ONE YOU USED -- I HAVE BEEN CUTTING LITTLE PIECES OF MY BATIKS TO SHARE WITH YOU, JUST A BIT HERE AND THERE, BUT I SEE THAT YOU HAVE A WAY WITH THEM, DEFINITELY!!! SO I WILL SEND YOU MY BITS AND YOU WILL BE ABLE TO MAKE MANY FLOWERS FOR YOUR FLORAL DELIGHT. YOU ARE PHENOMENAL. LUV YA, ~anna

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you want to hand piece sailboats around the compass, why not do a bunch of different blocks of sailboats -- you don't need to choose only one. Its a lovely compass, and will beautiful with a border.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful blocks Nadine - but I'm not at all good on supplying ideas. I do like the idea of the compas being the center of a medallion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Nadine,

    Do you live in french speaking belgium or dutch ? I see you wrote a few dutch words to me :-) ..

    Thank you so much for all your kind and warm words about my quilts and blog!!
    The string tulips I have from the book Liberated string quilts from Gwen Marston. In there you see the antique quilt and a little pattern. Not from the whole block. I made it smaller and I make crazy string leaves. I LOVE the book so much . I think it is worth to buy !!
    I found The pattern from the quilt Bloemen in a old Quilt Sampler. ( a magazine ) . It was a thrill for me that it was hanging in a show in france. Can you believe it. Actually I notice that I piece more and more by machine. I like it. But in my heart I am still a handpiecer . When I am busy with that I feel like I am home.

    Well keep on quilting ! We will meet again through our blogs :-) I saw your mariners compass block . It is so great . and your dresden flowers . I will think with you what to do with them...... I let you know

    lucy

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's nice to see that you're quilting. Your Dresden Plate blocks are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. All of these blocks are so incredibly beautiful. I can envision the first one in a round robin or medallion type quilt. Just put borders around and around it until it is the size you want. The dresden plates would look great on any background - something really light like white or really dark.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nadine, thank you for visiting my blog. You're welcome to print whatever you want. I do tend to write a lot. Come back and visit anytime!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You could make a pillow for your couch with your block. If you look on my blog I have made 2 pillows with Mariner's Compass blocks.
    For the Dresden plates I would pick muslin for background - I think.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Here are some links that I believe will be interested

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have you decided on the background? Have you considered black? I think those would glow on a black background.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Here are some links that I believe will be interested

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really enjoyed looking at your site, I found it very helpful indeed, keep up the good work.
    »

    ReplyDelete
  13. Interesting site. Useful information. Bookmarked.
    »

    ReplyDelete

Thanks a bunch for your comments, they just make my day !